Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Something New for Me--Using a Real Setting

Not as it Seems, the latest in my Deputy Tempe series is located in a real place, Morro Bay and it's surroundings. Tempe and her husband, Hutch, even eat in real restaurants.


In fact this photo was taken out a window at a real restaurant that's in the story.

When I write about Tempe in her home surroundings, it's a fictional place that is quite similar to the place I live in the Southern Sierra--but not quite. For one thing, I've moved the town higher in the mountains and the restaurants and other places of business are fictious. The reason I did that, business don't seem to stay very long.

Morro Bay is a place that my husband I like to visit. I even belong to the Central Coast Chapter of Sisters in Crime which gives me good excuses to visit the area from time to time.

I'll be headed over there to particpate in the Central Coast Author and Book Fair on Sunday, September 20 from 10 to 4 at the Seacrest Oceanfront Hotel in Pismo Beach.

Though not in an official capacity, Tempe investigates a murder and the investigation takes her to Pismo, Los Osos, San Luis Obispo, Nipomo, Avila Beach, and Arroyo Grande. Now, that the book is out, we'll see if I got everything right or not.

It's much easier to write about an imaginary place--at least it is for me.

You can check out Not as it Seems on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Seems-Tempe-Crabtree-Mystery-Book-ebook/dp/B014JREF0K/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1440892828&sr=1-1&keywords=Not+as+it+Seems+by+Marilyn+Meredith

and on Barnes and Noble:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/not-as-it-seems-marilyn-meredith/1122583033?ean=2940151209311


Marilyn

And if you do buy the book and read it, it would be great if you'd put a review up on either Amazon or Barnes and Noble.

2 comments:

authorlindathorne said...

I love Morro Bay. I think the mention of it alone will sell a number of your books. Setting is important to readers. This is a location I would think most people have been to at least once. It's unforgettable.

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

We're crazy about the area and go there as often as possible. Thanks for the comment, Linda.