Monday, October 13, 2014

Spoiled

With well intentions, I created a monster. It started innocently enough. I felt sorry for my dog, Rascal, who would eye my people food longingly. Since she's getting older, I thought she may as well live it up, and enjoy what I denied her before. I started slipping scraps into her bowl, along with the dog food. Unfortunately, the result is she's become very picky and won't eat her dog food unless something for people is mixed in with it. And, even then, she's become picky. Only certain kinds of people food meet her qualifications. However, when she's happy with what I've provided, she grunts with pleasure and snarfs it down, like she can't get enough of it.
I couldn't help relating her experience to mine when it comes to books, especially on kindle. Before, when I picked up a book and it didn't meet my expectations right away, I was content to keep reading and wait for at least one good part to turn up. Sometimes, I would read an entire book, not because it was so great, but only because I'd started it and felt obligated to finish it.

Now, I expect the good part to start right from the beginning, and it has to keep being good until the end, or I'll start another book instead. If the next doesn't work immediately, I'll start yet another, until I find one to my liking.

I'm afraid, like Rascal, I've become spoiled. With the proliferation of books available, either free or at reasonable prices for my kindle, it's so very easy for me to be picky.

I suspect a lot more readers have become as spoiled as I am. Are you?


See Morgan Mandel's books on her Amazon Author Page:

Excerpts & buy links at Morgan's Book Links Blog:

Facebook:

Twitter:@MorganMandel 

4 comments:

Polly Iyer said...

I have the same problem with the dog, but I still forge ahead with the books unless they are real stinkers. I'm going to try your route and quit when they don't hold my interest.

Morgan Mandel said...

So many books, so little time! No sense wasting that time if the book is sub-quality!

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

I get so many hard cover books to review that I find it hard finding time to read the books I really want to. I usually take my Kindle with me when I'm on a trip and that's when i get to read what I want.

Morgan Mandel said...

I read with my breakfast and lunch. That's it.