Saturday, August 23, 2014

Going to Nashville!

I’m going to be at Killer Nashville when this posts. This will be my second trip to this conference. Someone mentioned that there is a trolley tour available a short walk from our hotel. I won’t have time to do this, so I decided to do my own tour, before I go, from the comfort of my office.

First, some history. Nashville was named after Fort Nashborough, near which it was first located. The fort is named after Revolutionary hero Francis Nash. Situated on the Cumberland River, it grew quickly.

Its nickname is Music City, mostly country music. Four major record labels and other small ones record there. It boasts the Grand Old Opry, Ryman Auditorium, Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum, and the General Jackson showboat.

Other nicknames: Athens of the South, The Protestant Vatican (or The Buckle of the Bible Belt), Cashville, Little Kurdistan, and Nash Vegas.

Gibson guitar and Nissan North America headquarters are also located in Nashville.

Three interstates meet near downtown, I-40 (the one I’m driving in on), I-65, and I-24. This must be a mess! It’s the second largest in population in the state (Memphis is largest), but the biggest in metropolitan area, spreading over 13 counties.

The town gave rise to Moon Pies and Goo Goo Clusters. I’m going to see if I can locate any of those while I’m there. It’s been ranked the 13th snobbiest city for foodie culture. Am I the only one who sees a disconnect here?

Vanderbilt University and at least 4 other colleges make this a university town, AND it’s the state capitol.

Some local dishes are called hot chicken, hot fish, barbecue. Meat and three is type of restaurant service. I might see if I can locate some of that, too.

You know, I might have to schedule an extra day or two next time.


info from:
http://www.nashville.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nashville,_Tennessee

1 comment:

Kathleen Kaska said...

My dog (in heaven now) used to plant himself on my lap when I wrote. What an inspiration he was.